Friday, February 10, 2012

View of the Hillside Cemetery

View of the Hillside Cemetery by midgefrazel
View of the Hillside Cemetery, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Teaching Cemetery Research: Looking at a Distance



Hillside Cemetery: A First Look 
This is the first photo that I took when we arrived at the Hillside or Pilot Grove Cemetery in Stow. As there is no safe parking and it is winter, I asked my husband to park on the sidewalk that runs along the cemetery. This is not a good idea because we could have received a parking ticket. We were only here for 45 minutes and kept an eye out for any bikes or pedestrians.

Taking advantage of the quiet morning, I dashed across the street (Crescent Street) to snap a few distance photos to work with the telephoto option of my camera. (Google Maps photo)

I used the LCD screen to take this photo. I can't always use the screen. I still prefer the viewfinder but for distance photos the screen is OK.

The entrance to this cemetery is obvious. There must have been a gate here once to keep out the wandering animals from the nearby farm. All the caretakers I have interviewed tell me animals knock over and damage stone and stone walls.

Next to that is the map kiosk. It is quite high up and even from across the street, I am already worried that I will not get a clear shot of the map. (Closer photo of the kiosk)

I was told that this is the only copy of this map. I simply can't imagine that anyone would make such a useful work of art and not get it copied and archived at the local library. I am glad I was told this so that I get a great photo of it. It is essential.

When we moved here, I tried to take a photo of it with my cell phone. It was not good enough to read.

1 comment:

Carol P. said...

It is hard to believe that the kiosk maps in Stow are the only copies in existence, but I have been told this, too. The map at Lower Village needed replacing years ago - the mold slime is obscuring parts of the map.