Friday, June 08, 2012

Scraps with Record

Scraps with Record by midgefrazel
Scraps with Record, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Where did the Craig family come from in Scotland?

Tracking a person with Scotland's People's web site with little of no information is hard. Even when asked years ago, my mother-in-law didn't know exactly where her father was born.

I have tried without luck to find his birth record. He had a twin sister and a younger sister. I was hoping to find one of them so I could find the others.

Tucked in a strongbox, along with my mother-in-law's teaching certificate and other mementos was an envelope with scraps of a record. The reason I could not make sense of it was that it was two birth records with incomplete pieces. Twins!


You will be pleased to hear that I did find the birth records at Scotland's People. When I searched for his great aunt that was the twin, I found that the numbers for the GROS were the same! This meant that the twins were recorded on the same page. If they hadn't been recorded on the same page, I would have paid extra for the next page. (The pay by credit system used by Brightsolid works this way and I don't like it.)




  I think that is my biggest rant with the "pay as you search" is that you can't look at the next page with census records as I have been taught.



No comments: