Monday, May 21, 2012

James F. Barber: Death Notice

JFBarber_Death Notice by midgefrazel
JFBarber_Death Notice, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

James Frederick Barber
Through the kindness of a fellow researcher, I now have evidence that my great grandfather, James Frederick BARBER, did die just over the Westerly, RI line in Pawcatuck, CT (probably at home) on 11 Nov 1949. He is listed as living there in the 1940 census.

I was not quite two but I do remember him standing over me while I played on the floor. It was probably the summer before he died.

His gravestone just bears his year of birth and death and I had the IGI listing of the date which matches this death notice.

I miss the death notices. With obits so expensive now, I really think the death notice should come back. But, maybe newspapers will die out and we will have to rely on the online notices.

Just yesterday, I asked a fellow gravestone hunter to locate information of J. Fred's youngest brother who died in Chicago. We'll see what turns up!

No comments: