Friday, June 22, 2012

Edward Stewart


Edward STEWART

Stewart Hill Cemetery (#39) located on Wyssaup Road in North Stonington, Connecticut. 

Last evening, Gladys Chase responded to my email telling me that the North Stonington, Cemetery Committee had undertaken a restoration project for this cemetery. I am so glad to see Edward's stone (and others) upright and repaired. This photo was taken by Brian Zoldak on 11 May 2012. It is used here with his permission.


You can see the ground where the stone lay prostrate and broken for a very long time. The only way I could be sure that it was his gravestone was by its placement next to his wife and because there was an intact footstone.


In/ Memory of/ EDWARD STEWART/who died/ April 29, 1837./ in his 63rd year/of his age

Edward (Nathan, William, William) was a "farmer by occupation and all who knew him loved him".  You can't imagine how I felt reading that in Wheeler's History of Stonington in 2004 when I purchased this used book from Alibris for $124.95. [p. 606 and 607 Stewart family: Edward Stewart #36]


Knowing even just that much about my 3rd great-grandfather, kept me pushing onward to learn as much as I could. Visiting the cemetery twice in 2003 and working with Gladys of the Historical Society where she found many excellent documents and family group sheets really made me the genealogist I am today.

Edward, son of Nathan and Barbary STEWARD was born 8 Dec 1775, married Rebecca Noyes on 15 February 1801 and died on 29 Apr 1837. He was the father of eight children. His last child, Dudley was my ancestor.

No comments: