Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dudley in World War I

Grave Marker by midgefrazel
Grave Marker, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

World War I
I made an assumption when looking at Dudley Wheeler Stewart's gravestone marker that he served in World War I for Rhode Island. I found his draft card listed with the draft board in Woonsocket, RI with his place of residence in Westerly, RI That's two pieces of evidence. However his World War II draft card states he lives (in that year) in Connecticut.

Yesterday, I discovered a record in a database at Ancestry.com called Connecticut Military Census, 1917 for a Dudley Wheeley Stewart. Now, I am not sure what to think. Did he serve for RI or CT? Well, he can ride a bicycle, drive a car, handle a team and is not a strong swimmer.

 Ancestry.com. Connecticut, Military Census, 1917 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
Original data: Connecticut Military Census of 1917. Hartford, Connecticut: Connecticut State Library.

No comments: