Monday, November 04, 2013

Charles Henry Barber

Clip from Elizabeth Church's Barber genealogy, pub 1976
Clip from the Descendants of Moses Barber by Lois Barber, published 1984


Needing to review some of my earliest work from my early days as a professional genealogist (in training), I looked back at what gravestones I am lacking in the line of descent of Moses Barber of North Kingstown, RI. Two women published family history-genealogies that are housed at the LDS library and I obtained them from that website (in PDF) to study. Because there are a LOT of names, I always search for "Matthew Stillman Barber" when I want to compare the information from the people who are in this family. So many of these folks are buried in the River Bend Cemetery in Westerly, RI that I have made several trips gleefully photographing their gravestones. 

But, they are not all there...

The youngest child, named for his father, is buried in Island Cemetery in Block Island, RI. His wife outlived him so she is not buried there.

But, I have managed to track down the gravestone of Charles Henry Barber who is buried in Noank Valley Cemetery in Groton, CT. Notice that the wives names are listed but they are not quite the same. There were no children from either marriage so it had been quite the challenge to get everything correctly researched but I did have quite a couple days locating census records to piece this together.

Next spring, fellow gravestone hunter, Brian Zoldak, is going to photograph this cemetery so it is worth my while to get "worked out" all the ancestors of the wives. It is a good project because I can work on it a little at a time and not feel rushed. (By the way, her name is not Linda.) 

No comments: