Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Quaker Sources

Sources in print and electronic format

Learning About Quakers

For me, a book, either in print or electronic format is the easiest and fastest way to learn a topic that I am not at all familiar with. Naturally, Cyndi's List [Quaker Records] is my first stop of Web resources. Cyndi was kind enough to point me to specific resources when I "crowdsourced" the topic at Facebook. I got a lot of responses to my query especially important is the one from my Rhode Island friend (yes, that's a little Quaker funny), Diane Boumenot. [One Rhode Island Family]

She suggested that I read Maureen Taylor's article at NEHGS about Religious Records in Rhode Island, since the RIHS library mentioned is under repair and maybe for many months to come. Yet, again, I start another folder for further research. While I am waiting, I can follow them on Twitter. (links at bottom of the RIHS page)

Stephanie P. Fishman's source is now available in both PDF and in Kindle format. I read Kindle books on my iPad mini and I can report that it is an easy way to read this (and affordable too!) ($2.99) [Twitter @stephpfishman

I elected to purchase the small paperback, "Our Quaker Ancestors" shown above. It is quite old (1987-1996) and without links but that is why we have wonderful Cyndi. (book costs about $20).

Link to the online format of this book.

Recently, Sunny Morton "crowdsourced" to ask what books we genealogists are reading and I am pleased to be chosen for an article she is writing for an upcoming issue of Family Tree Magazine. Good way to kick off my year! Thanks, Sunny.
Now, to track down vital records where I can find them, locate Quaker "Monthly Meeting" records and to collaborate with my new cousin, Hulda Jowett. Lots of do. See you next Tuesday!

No comments: