Saturday, February 22, 2014

Hands Across the Table

Reaching Out by midgefrazel
Reaching Out, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Reaching Out

Our dining room table was an antique hand me down from my great grandparents. It had a separate leaf that made it bigger for holiday dinners. When my grandmother moved in with my parents, she brought her dining room table and eventually she sold it since my house in Bridgewater didn't have a dining room and I didn't want it.

My mother favored putting the table on this wall overlooking the backyard. This table made a great fort when a sheet was placed over it. This wall doesn't exist anymore as it was torn out to add an apartment for my grandmother when she turned 80 and came to live with my parents. I think she was convinced that she would die soon. She lived to be 98. Be careful what you think!

Grandmother brought a lot of furniture with her and so eventually, the dining room table was put in the center of the room and used only for holidays. My husband remembers my grandmother's last apartment and I rely on him to help me remember when certain events happened. 

Along with me, hubs remembers how the house at Hilltop Drive changed from 1970 to 2002 when we sold it. I do wonder what my parents and grandmother would think of my daughter's lovely home and us moving to our condo to be near her. So many people comment on how long we lived in Bridgewater. "How could you move?", they asked. "Easily", I answered. Home is where you hang your hat.

1 comment:

Judith Richards Shubert said...

Sweet picture and loved reading about the progression of your grandmother's dining room table to its' last home (as far as you know!) Most of us have pieces like that. Enjoyed your tour this morning.