Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tombstone Tuesday: Looking Forward by Looking Back


Why Photograph a Entire Cemetery?


Photographing a whole cemetery gives us a "picture" of a neighborhood or area just as census records do. In this case, all of the people buried here have a relationship as descendants of John Gallup I, (1593-1650).

It takes a lot of time to research every gravestone in a burying ground like this, so don't expect that every blog post will have all the information all at once. I may have to go back and add information as I learn more. 

I have picked this fall and winter to blog about this cemetery because of the location and because even the maiden names of the women demonstrate the closeness of this part of Connecticut. Women with surnames such a Stanton and Denison are buried here too. I have found three local history books to help out with this project.

Make no mistake, this is a lot of work. That's why I decided that this should be a collaborative effort and picked a few people to be in a closed Facebook group to help me out.

This is not the first family graveyard that I have completely researched and guess what? More people have died since 2006  and been buried there since I recorded that cemetery. One of my ancestors buried here in the Gallup Burying Ground married a man and they are buried there. That's how I went looking for this. Working backwards through the generations.

While you are waiting to see the gravestones in the cemetery, here's some past photos and blog posts about this location:

View of the long entry to the Gallup Hill Graveyard (author's collection)


Gallup Burying Ground, September, 2007 post

Clearly Defined Rows, July 2010 post

Fresh Flags, September 2007 post

1 comment:

Elizabeth Handler said...

Hi cousin! I've got Gallup, Stanton (many times) and Denison (both mother and father) in my ancestry. Looking forward to your project!