Sunday, February 15, 2015

Day 15: Granite Hewer John Broadfoot: New Century

Granite Hewer
John Broadfoot's Story
Day 15

New Century in Dalbeattie


College Atlas, 1965

Life is changing for my Broadfoot family in Dalbeattie in the new century of 1900. John's father, Thomas Broadfoot died in 1899. His children from his first marriage to Jane Hannah are growing up and moving away from Dalbeattie. 

In the years since John and Helen are married, the century has changed. In 1897, their first child, a daughter named Agnes Tait Broadfoot was born. John and Jane's last child ("Great Auntie Peg") was 9 years old and became a big step sister. 

By the year, 1900, John and Helen welcomed a son named Hugh Harcomb Broadfoot. Then, Walter P, Broadfoot is born in 1902 and the last child, Robert McKinnell Broadfoot arrives in 1906. 

John Broadfoot is now 53 years old and has grandchildren to meet his youngest son. No wonder his hair is white.

In the census for 1901,  Helen is not in the house the night of the census. Why? I can account for the grown and moved away children. This means that I must study Helen Tait's family before she married John Broadfoot. I laughed when I discovered the fact that her parents BOTH have the last surname. 

As my father and I pieced our tree together, he and I struggled with the geography. We knew they were "lowland". In college I was required to buy an atlas for a Western Civilization course. I immediately ripped out the map of Scotland (shown here) and put it in my genealogy notebook. 

That's right, notebook. I had one notebook and my huge rolled up family tree.  Every so often, I would take out this map and look at it and wonder what Dalbeattie, Scotland was like. Not being a traveler, I really did not expect to know anything about it. It is great to stay home and learn about your ancestors.

No comments: