Monday, February 12, 2018

Ada Broadfoot Curry dies in Providence

Aunt Ada (Broadfoot) Curry dies in Providence, Rhode Island

From the family archives of Hannah Champlin Broadfoot
Privately held by Midge Frazel

My paternal aunt, Ada L. (Broadfoot) Curry was a patient in the Jane Brown section of the Rhode Island Hospital when she passed away in 1985. These obituaries carefully saved by her sister-in-law, Hannah Champlin Broadfoot and given to me by Barbara Trowbridge. The one on the left must be from the Providence Journal and the one on the right from the Westerly Sun.

The Rhode Island Hospital is the hospital where I trained as a student in the medical technology, MT (ASCP) program and after graduation, I worked there for a little over a year until I married. (history of this hospital) Ada was the widow of George J. Curry for only a few years when her health declined. 

Ada's devotion to her church and family was legend. She always remarked that she was a "dyed in the wool Baptist". My family can always work textiles and dyeing into their conversation.

After her parents died, Ada took over the household which included my father and my Uncle Bill. She was a laboratory assistant of chemist and dyer, George Curry and married him in 1939 and continued working. She was a strong willed woman and a talented needleworker.  

I will always remember her.

#52ancestors
#6

No comments: