Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Victor is Gone

Location of Victor After by midgefrazel
Location of Victor After, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Victor is No More

The adventure of Westerly Laundry and Victor Cleansing Co. came to a close when my Dad was nearing sixty. My grandmother wanted to sell the business and so that's what happened.

Fortunately, my Dad got another job to last until he could retire and my aunt and uncle were already retired. The "hey-day" of our family business was over. Change is hard.

As I was married and living in Massachusetts, I was not involved in the sale of the business or what happened to "the plant". 

After my grandmother passed away, I encouraged my parents to revisit some of their "old haunts" and I gave them a camera. 

This is what the buyers did with the land after they tore down the plant. 

It is still there. I can see it on Google Maps. It is senior housing with a rehab facility.

I think that that my mom took the photo and my father is the person in the red shirt standing where he did in other photos. I do think the shrub is the only thing left of Victor.

This project was a lot of fun for me. I didn't think I could find out so much. Thanks for reading....

     

No comments: