Sunday, July 28, 2013

Making the Most of Summer

Sailing Away! by midgefrazel
Sailing Away!, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Summer's Heat

Here in New England, weather is always a topic of conversation and certainly those past, present and future who make their living from the sea are no exception. My ancestors in New England experienced several hurricanes starting with the very early settlers.

An interesting article at Wikipedia lists many and you might be surprised at the years. My great grandfather's teenage newspaper clipping reports on a ship where he was mate. That was 1787!

I am transcribing that article and it is slow going because I can't seem to find the source of the clipping but I think it was from a local Mystic, CT newspaper. 

I am taking this upcoming week off to work on that article and to work on the fascinating story of Capt. Palmer Hall. Granite-in-MY-Blood will be on vacation from 7/28 to 8/6. It's a working vacation!

No comments: