Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sentimental Sunday: The Homestead

The Old Homestead, August, 2014

Visiting the Plat

We family history folks are sentimental about almost everything aren't we? When we went to Cranston, Rhode Island last month and parked down a nearby street for a couple minutes. I decided to get out of the car and take a photo of my parents house. I don't know the people who live there now and I decided not to go ring the doorbell. I felt comfortable with that. Time can heal. Writing about my childhood was hard but a lot of fun.

My husband said that it felt funny not to pull into the driveway. We spent almost every weekend for a few months trying to help my mother before she got sick and went to the hospital and later to rehab where she did not improve and died of COPD and pneumonia after being sent to the hospital. Her dementia got so much worse. 

Taking this visit was a good idea. I feel so much better now that time has passed. The folks in the neighborhood helped out a lot by watching the house during the week. By the time, it was sold, I was happy to be done with the worry.

The neighbors on the left are now my Facebook friends. I didn't know them as well as the people to the right. One of my childhood playmates is a best friend of the wife on the left. Isn't that amazing. I guess my parents didn't know that.

Sunday is a good time to be sentimental. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Midge, It is nice that your childhood home is still there in the same form it was when you were a child. My childhood home in LA is now a multi-unit condo project. Things change quite often in Southern California.