Sunday, January 28, 2018

Dudley W. Stewart Dies In Milltown


Dudley W. Stewart Dies in Milltown, North Stonington
Sunday, July 4, 1886

Dudley Wheeler Stewart, was one of my maternal 2nd great grandfathers. He was the last child of his parents born when his mother was 40 years old  in (Milltown) North Stonington, Connecticut. This was his home with his wife Eliza Fish Denison Stewart and the likely location of the porch for the chair I inherited.

He grew up to be the owner and operator of the general store and was a selectman for his small town. He had no recorded birth for me to check so I use the date from my family bible and the gravestone. I do have certified copy of his marriage.

My friend and town historian for Stonington, Connecticut, Fred Burdick went to the nearby Westerly public library to find a record of his obituary, while I asked Gladys Chase to find his death record. His death, from consumption, says 3 July and the newspaper says 4 July.  The Mystic Press says 4 July, 1886.

I recently found this mentioned in the New Haven Register which states he died on Sunday the fourth. 

Nothing is perfect.



copyright NewsBank and/or American Antiquarian Society, 2004


Certified Death Record, North Stonington, page 41 obtained in 2005


Stonington Mirror. 10 July 1886 (obtained from the Westerly Public Library)
by Fred Burdick, Town Historian, Stonington, CT


#52Ancestors
#4

No comments: