Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Death Records

Thomas-Broadfoot-Death-Cert by midgefrazel
Thomas-Broadfoot-Death-Cert, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Thomas Broadfoot, my paternal grandfather 
The old expression, "Strike while the iron in the fire is hot", pretty much describes my life for the past couple of days.

Some descendants of my paternal family that came from Scotland to America have been contacting me about the work I have done on this family. It is exciting and confusing all at the same time. I don't dare start anything new while they are feeding me information. You know the feeling?

This is a camera shot of the death record of my paternal grandfather who died in Westerly, Rhode Island where he settled after coming to America.

As you can see his death was unpleasant. Suicide. This wasn't a surprise to me but it is still awful to see on paper.

I know that my father was seventeen when he found his father's body. I can't imagine how awful that was.

Thomas had siblings that came to America but his parents never left the old country. I have been gathering census records, vital records and family photographs.

Death records in Scotland might be expensive to get and hard to find but they have even more information. However, since the information is given under emotional circumstances, how much of it can be accurate?

All of what I see here, I have been able to verify. I am hoping that a contact I have made in Scotland can tell me more. She has taken information from gravestones.

I can hardly wait to see them! Being patient is hard.

No comments: