Saturday, April 21, 2012

Pedigree Collapse

Pedigree Collapse by midgefrazel
Pedigree Collapse, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Pedigree Collapse
It hasn't been very long since I learned about the term "pedigree collapse". This genealogical phenomena simply means that because of having ancestors in the family that are they themselves related, I don't have as many ancestors as I should.

Huh? Fewer ancestors. Well, that's not a problem. I like it when I research a married couple once and find them again when I work on a different line. Maybe I will have time to have a life after all?

I have discovered that Robert Parke and his wife Martha Chaplin appear twice in this pedigree view. (see the pink double-headed arrow?)


I might not have noticed it except that I have two woman named Martha Park in a later generation.

For a few minutes, I thought that this was the same woman who married two different men named Isaac. But, that is not the case here as I have found in other places in my work.

It seems that Robert Park had two sons who both had a child named Martha.

New England is a crazy place.

No comments: