Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday: Owen Stewart MINER

Owen Stewart MINER by midgefrazel
Owen Stewart MINER, a photo by midgefrazel on Flickr.

Owen Stewart Miner

In 2004, I went to the Starr Burying Ground in Groton, CT after attending a Denison reunion in Mystic, CT. I was looking for my grandfather's Great Aunt Frances, who was the daughter of Dudley Wheeler Stewart and Eliza Fish Denison. She was sister to Charlie, my great grandfather and she was alive in my lifetime. She was the last woman to belong to the DAR and I followed her ine for my own application. (her gravestone)

This is the gravestone of Owen Stewart Miner, son and little first cousin to my grandfather. He is the little toddler in the photo shared with me last week. I don't remember ever meeting him. He lived his whole life in Groton. He is buried in the Miner section of the cemetery right off the second entrance. It was so easy to find.

I wish I'd taken more photos of nearby gravestones but at that time, I didn't know all the names of this family. My grandmother told me about my grandfather's cousins and the big house they lived in.

I wandered this cemetery especially the older sections taking any gravestones that said Denison. I took a photo of the grandparents of a fellow Denison cousin who sat at my table. Months later, she wrote me a letter asking if I went to the Starr Burying Ground. She and I were both stunned that I took photos of her grandparents.
    

No comments: