Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Cemetery with Four Names

Evergreen Cemetery, Marlborough, MA


Photo by Diane MacLean Boumenot, 2013, used with permission
Take Your Pick: 
Old Farm (Farms) Cemetery, Morse, Wilson (Wilson Street) Cemetery, Evergreen Cemetery

In April, we ventured out to retake a photograph of Oscar Parmenter Dadmun's gravestone as an act of genealogical kindness for a fellow researcher. She lives in California and was thrilled with the less than stellar photograph that I took last fall when the above shot of me walking in the cemetery was taken by Diane. We had returned this past winter but there was too much snow to just read two dates on that stone. What was I thinking? This winter was just too long for all of us.

Poking around the Web page for the Marlborough Historical Society, I found this 8 page cemetery survey done for the Massachusetts Historical Commission in 1995 by Anne Forbes. [Cemetery Survey from Marlborough Historical Society] If you are lucky, you can find information online about local and distant cemeteries to help with your research.


Clip from Cemetery Survey (listed above)
This tells me who owned the original land and gives me the names of the cemetery. When I returned this past week, I looked over the surnames Morse and Wilson as well as the Parmenter and Dadmun graves that I went there to photograph. Many gravestones are eroded (mentioned as effacement) by lichen and are hard to read. It will take me some time to get them transcribed.




Photo by Midge Frazel, 2014
Isn't the broken chain lovely?


1 comment:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

That's a winner. There are a few cemeteries in my area with two names but I've never seen one with four names!