Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Boys of Hope: Battery G


Midge & Rob Collage
Originally uploaded by midgefrazel
It is with great delight that I report that my friend Robert Grandchamp, of Warwick, RI has has his book about Battery G accepted by a publisher for an October '09 release.

My 2nd great grandfather, James Albert Barber, fought in this unit (Battery G) and was awarded the Medal of Honor along with twenty other men.

I made a Web page for him in 2003, hoping to attract some attention to learn more about my family history and it worked! I have found family living both near and far to help me with my genealogical research.

Robert, then an undergraduate student at the same college in Rhode Island where I worked for my bachelor's degree, contacted me and as they say, the rest is history. I have learned so much from this young man who is a talented writer and now a Master's candidate in History. His other works show his enthusiasm for history seldom seen in such a young person. He's a rising star.

While we wait for the publication process, he will need to work up a speaking engagement based on the book. He had his photo taken at James' grave as did I and I made this collage of us. Isn't it great? I will finally get to meet Robert someday.

Let's give a big round of applause for Robert Grandchamp!

No comments: